Umar Khalid is now a Ph.D. candidate at UCF with Prof. Chen Chen. He received his master’s degree from the prestigious Shanghai Jiao Tong University and bachelor’s degree from the National University of Science and Technology of Pakistan.
2022 – Machine Learning Intern – CHEP – Orlando, FL
2021 – Adjunct Professor – Florida Polytechnic University, Lakeland, Florida
2019 – Computer Vision Algorithm Developer – MengBao Inc. – Shanghai, China
2015 – Machine Learning Software Engineer – PacSquare Inc. – Islamabad, PAK.
Present – PhD Computer Engineering Candidate – University of Central Florida, Orlando
2018 – MS Electrical Engineering – Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai
2014 – BE Electrical Engineering – National University of Sciences and Technology. Islamabad
Federated Learning, AI Security, Continual Learning
Machine Learning Intern, Computer Vision – CHEP – 01.2022 – 05.2022 – Orlando, USA
- Research on semantic segmentation to achieve AI-driven industrial automation
Algorithm Development Engineer, Computer Vision – MengBao Inc. – 01.2019 – 03.2020 –Shanghai, China
- Research on semantic segmentation, Object Detection and GANs.
- Developing computer vision based applications to tackle counterfeiting
- Technologies developed incorporated Facial Recognition, Object Detection & Segmentation, Text Recognition, GANs, etc.
Software Research Engineer, Machine Learning– PacSquare Pvt. Ltd. – 05.2015 – 06.2016 – Islamabad, Pak
- Developed computer vision-based tools for the company’s main product bechoonline.com which was the prime online marketplace in Pakistan.
- Some of the projects that I accomplished are Explicit Image filtering, message filtering, object detection, image-based auto-classification, etc.
PhD Computer Engineering – University of Central Florida – 08.2020 – Present – Orlando, FL
• Research: Federated Learning, AI Security, Continual Learning
• Advisors: Dr. Chen Chen, Dr. Nazanin Rahnavard
MS Electrical Engineering – Shanghai Jiao Tong University – 08.2016 – 12.2018 – Shanghai, China
• Research: Smart Grid, Smart Transformers
• Advisors: Dr. Mansoor Khan
BE Electrical Engineering – National University of Sciences and Technology – 08.2010 – 06.2014 – Islamabad, Pakistan
• Research: Cognitive Radio Networks
• Advisors: Dr. Junaid Qadir
Umar Khalid, Ashkan Esmaeili, Nazmul Karim, Nazanin Rahnavard
A self-supervised based Out-of-distribution technique that maps the “ID” class embeddings in 1-dimensional sub-space to perform efficient OOD detection at the inference.
CNLL: A Semi-supervised Approach For Continual Noisy Label Learning
Nazmul Karim, Umar Khalid, Ashkan Esmaeili, Nazanin Rahnavard
The first study that investigated semi-supervised learning in the realm of continual learning in the presence of noisy labels.
Adjunt Faculty, Department of Computer Science – Florida Polytechnic University – 08.2021 – 12.2021 – Lakeland, FL, USA
- Courses: Introduction to Programming with Python
- Conducted Python programming modules in Data Science certificate
Umar Khalid is a computer scientist, specialized in computer vision and applied machine learning. He is interested in teaching AI security and Federated Learning. This overarching goal can be broken down into several tasks, such as Noisy labels, Out-of-distribution detection, Continual learning, adversarial learning, Backdoor attacks recognition, video retrieva, and many more.
Speaking of his educational background, he is currently pursuing Ph.D. in Computer Vision at the University of Central Florida. Earlier on, he studied his MS in Electrical Engineering at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in Shanghai, China, and his BE. in Electrical Engineering at National University of Sciences and Technology in Islamabad, Pakistan.
CRCV Lab, HEC Building, University of Central Florida
4328 Scorpius St.
Orlando, FL 32816-2365